Sunday, October 26, 2014

Craft Room Transformation (Part 2)

Pin It

Happy Sunday! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I've been sick for several days but have been fighting it off. Today it has me whipped. So I am in bed. I thought I would share this quick post with you today.

Remember this pic I showed you in Part 1?


One of the things I love about woodworking (there are MANY)... is that I can use my love for woodworking to help make useful organizing tools for my craft room. See the cut little pink shelf that I have my glitter glue and inks on? Guess who made that? Yep... I did! This was a quite simple project. Took no time at all. Used scrap wood and I have found it very useful.

I have these little baskets that I've been using and they sit in one of the shelves on my cubes. As you can see, they aren't very effective. And since they sit in a cubby hold I never can see what I have.


Another issue with storing them in this basket is... out of sight, out of mind. I'm one of those that forgets what all I have. And I commonly forget about these guys. 

It was quite simple to make. I measured the height of the items that I wanted to store and the number of shelves and that gave me my dimensions. I had scraps of 1x2's so I just used what I had on hand. I LOVE creating things without having to go buy materials. 

I added a little glue to each end, clamped them together and then used a nail gun to secure them. There's not a lot of weight on this shelf so this is more than sufficient. 


As far as the finish... this poor guy actually seen many stages. This part of the process took more time than anything. I stained it and decided that I didn't want that. Then I thought I'd do that distressed look. So I painted it black and then pink over that and hand sanded the edges and a few other spots. It turned out kinda cool actually. Made it look aged. But it wasn't the look I was looking for either. So in the end I just added another coat of pink paint. I love this color and you will be seeing it again and again as I make more pieces. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is a gloss finish. I prefer satin. But they didn't have this color in satin. 

I can't wait to share more with you as I complete my craft room. I recently decided to make a big change from what I have now. So I am excited to get those changes made and share them with you. 

Thanks for stopping by. As always I appreciate your feedback and comments. Would love to hear from you about storage solutions you have come up with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment